Monday, September 28, 2009

IT'S FALL & TIME FOR POPPY SEED CAKE!

Happy Fall! It's been a little hard getting into Fall since it has been in the 100s here in Northern California. Since today is a bit cooler, I have started my decorating. But before we take a peek at those pictures, I have sliced a piece of Poppy Seed Cake just for you (recipe at end of post)! We typically eat this cake for breakfast but of course, you can have it anytime. It is very good! (click on pictures for full view)

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Hubby and I drove over to Point Richmond, a quaint little area right on the SF Bay. Here are some pics from the day:

Photobucket


PhotobucketHouses right on the water!

PhotobucketThe marina surrounded by pretty condos.

PhotobucketA sailboat leaving the Harbor (SF is in the background).

PhotobucketA really cool area where you can take sailing lessons and then take a sailboat out on your own. Fun!!

We noticed this building while walking along the shoreline. These are old buildings from when they would use the pier for loading and unloading container ships. Now they are being renovated into restaurants and such. This building has not been renovated yet. Don't you just LOVE the old green rolling door? And check out those green lights? I would love to have a few of those old lights!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wait until you see these next pictures! We stumbled upon this very interesting playground in Berkeley. It's called Adventure Playground and is consists of all donated wood, old boats, and stuff like that. The kids play on all this stuff and build things out of the wood, etc. As you can see, you have to pretty much sign your life away due to the liability. However, even with parents signing waivers, I'm still pretty surprised they have this type of thing. The kids all looked like they were having a blast! And the kicker?? It's been there for over 30 years!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Poppy Seed Cake

1 box yellow cake mix
4 eggs
1 small package instant vanilla pudding
3/4 C. oil
1 C. cream sherry
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Mix all the above together with electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. Grease a bundt pan and mix 1 Cup sugar with 1 Tbsp. cinnamon and use like flour on inside of greased bundt pan - pour excess out. Pour cake batter into pan and bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. I have also made this without the poppy seeds. Once it cools in the pan for a few minutes, I invert it onto a cake plate. Very moist and yummy!

5 comments:

  1. Oh that poppyseed cake looks so yummy! My mother used to love making this. Thank you for the recipe! Looks like you and hubby had a wonderful day together exploring. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, yum -- I LOVE poppyseed cake -- thanks for sharing your recipe. Your pumpkins are adorable -- especially the wall hanging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MJ! I've just posted about your lovely bag -- I received it yesterday! (I've lost your e-mail address in my massive cleanout!) Anyway -- THANKS -- I love it -- you're a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I just stopped by to see your new blog-was at Amber's at the Shabbee Chick. Love it and will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am behind in blog reading. Catching up with you today. Loved looking at the pictures of your nice outing here. I was not aware of that Adventure Playground in Berkeley. When the weather is nice again, we will need to do some poking around at the interesting places in the Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete