Monday, November 2, 2009

HALLOWEEN AND SUGAR COOKIES!

How was your Halloween? Did you stay home and pass out candy? Or go to a party? My hubby and I were wishing we had a party to go to but no one we knew was having one. Guess we should have had one! Well I got the pumpkin carved in the afternoon and all the goodie bags made up to hand out and waited for that first knock on the door!

Photobucket

Photobucket


I also made Sugar Cookies earlier in the day...pumpkins and cats. I iced one cat cookie in orange in honor of Fletcher! :-) Normally I ice these cookies with Betty Crocker Creamy Classic Vanilla Frosting but since I didn't have any, I made a frosting, which actually was better in that it hardened faster so I was able to stack the cookies easier. These are the BEST sugar cookies I have ever had. I got this recipe from one of my oldest and dearest friends. We have been friends since we were teens!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here are a few more pictures of my porch and Fall decorating! See the cool yellow chair (you will have to click on the photo to see it)? I have three of those. I got them at a garage sale for $2 each ... can you believe that? Wasn't that a steal????!!!! I thought so!

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket


SUGAR COOKIES
1 cup butter, softened
1 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. baking power
3 1/2 cups flour
Cream together butter and cream cheese. Add sugar and egg - blend. Add vanilla and almond extract - blend well. Mix in baking powder and flour. Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes. Mix a little flour and powered sugar together and spread on counter. Roll out dough on floured surface and cut into shapes. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Sugar Cookie Frosting
4 cups powered sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tablespoons milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
food coloring
Cream shortening in a large bowl. Add powered sugar and blend until smooth. Gradually add the milk and vanilla, mixing well until smooth and stiff ... about 5 minutes. Color with food coloring as desired. (I cut this recipe in half and had enough for all my cookies).


5 comments:

  1. Oh! I can't believe you got them for $2 each!!! I've wanted some of those for years!! You soooo lucked out! Love your decor! The cookies look yummy! Glad your Halloween was fun! We had a great time too!
    Hugs, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. MJ hope you had a wonderful Halloween! Your sugar cookies are just adorable!! My friend and I went on a city ghost tour which was actually fun because it included tons of history on the city. Love that part!

    xoxo

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha -- I was reading along and you went from sugar cookies to those awesome chairs (a steal indeed!) an I thought man, I'm going to have to beg you for another recipe and there it was! Thanks for sharing -- they look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of COURSE I remember you. So nice to cross paths with you again! I'm in the middle of a crazy-busy week, but will be back in a couple to say hi and look around your blog some more. ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Halloween decor! Love you cake plate and cover!!

    ~Linnea

    ReplyDelete